The Promised Land
This story can be found in Joshua 1-4. This is the story of God keeping the promise he made to Abraham all those years earlier: Abraham's descendants were given the land God had promised. Some questions you can ask your child ...
- I wonder how the people felt when Joshua told them to get ready to go into the Promised Land?
- I wonder how it felt when God led them through the water into the Promised Land?
- I wonder what the people of God will do, now that they are in the Promised Land?
Jesus Heals Two "Daughters"
This story can be found in Mark 5:21-43. It is the story of the healing of Jairus' daughter and of the woman who was healed from bleeding when she reached out from the crowd and touched Jesus' clothes. Here are some questions you can ask your child ...
... about Jairus' daughter ...
- I wonder how the girl felt once she was well again?
- I wonder how the girl felt as she was dying?
- I wonder how the girl's mother and father felt as she was dying?
- I wonder why Jairus, a ruler of the synagogue, would ask Jesus to heal his daughter?
- I wonder how Jairus feels when he hears that his daughter is dead?
- I wonder how Jairus feels when Jesus feels Jesus says, "Don't be afraid. Believe."?
- I wonder why Jesus would heal the daughter of a ruler of the synagogue when the scribes of the synagogue didn't like Jesus?
- I wonder what Jairus will say to the scribes?
... about the woman in the crowd ...
- I wonder how this woman felt for 12 years when no one would touch her, or hug her or even be near her? (In their culture, they could not touch her because as long as she was bleeding, she was considered unclean.)
- I wonder how she feels now that she is healed?
- I wonder who will hug her now?
- I wonder what the crowd thought when Jesus called her "daughter"?
- I wonder what both "daughters" will do now that they are healed?
- I wonder how the people feel about Jesus?
In Sunday School and in elementary worship on Saturday night and Sunday at 11 a.m., the children learned ...
God's "Golden Rule": Lot and Abram Divide the Land
You can find this story in Genesis 13:1-18. In it, we learn a lesson in putting others first. Memorizing the following Bible verse together will help keep this lesson in mind: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31. (The Golden Rule.)
Some questions to discuss with your child:
- How can God's "Golden Rule" change the way you treat people?
- What kinds of things do you like others to do for you?
- When have you treated others the way you wanted to be treated yourself?
- How can you practice God's "Golden Rule" at school? At home?
- When have you treated someone kindly and then had that person treat you the same way?
- What are other ways our actions can return to us?
- Why do you think the Golden Rule is important to God?
- Why do you think people who don't even read the Bible know about God's "Golden Rule"?
- How can treating others as we want to be treated help us leat others know about Jesus?
- What's one way you can treat a friend as you want to be treated?