Sunday, October 23, 2011

10 Best Ways to Live, Jesus and the Storm, Not THAT Abraham

On Saturday night and 9 a.m. Sunday morning, the children who attend Worship and Wonder learn the same lesson as the 3s and 4s in 11 a.m. Worship and Wonder. This week, that lesson is ...

The 10 Best Ways to Live
This Moses story can be found in Exodus 19 & 20 and Deuteronomy 6:4-6
This is the story of the Israelite's exodus from slavery in Egypt and the 10 Commandments. Those "10 Best Ways to Live" include 4 best ways to love God and 6 best ways to love people.
Here are some questions you can ask your child
1. I wonder how it feels to be free, to be able to do anything you want to?
2. I wonder how it feels to be able to do anything you want, but you don't know what to do?
3. I wonder if it is hard to be free?
4. I wonder how Moses felt going up the holy mountain?
5. I wonder what Moses and God talked about?
6. I wonder if it's hard to love God and love people?

At 11 a.m. Sunday, the kindergarteners learn from the "Following Jesus" Worship and Wonder curriculum. Their lesson today ...

Jesus and the Storm
The story of Jesus calming the storm can be found in Mark 4:35-41.
Here are some questions you can ask your child:
1. I wonder what it was like to be in such a great storm?
2. I wonder how Jesus was able to sleep during the storm?
3. I wonder how the wind feels blowing the sea?
4. I wonder how the sea feels being rough and wild?
5. I wonder why the wind and sea did what Jesus said?
6. I wonder how the sea feels being calm?
7. I wonder how the disciples feel?
8. I wonder why the disciples are following Jesus?
9. I wonder if they would keep following Jesus if He were not doing amazing things?
10. I wonder what they told their families and friends when they came ashore?

Not THAT Abraham
For the next few weeks, the Sunday School lesson and elementary worship lesson (on Saturday night and Sunday morning) is about Abram (who became Abraham.) For as long as I can remember, whenever I've mentioned Abraham to a group of children they -- in unison -- shout "Abraham Lincoln." So, attending our 11 a.m. Sunday elementary worship for these lessons is an Abraham Lincoln bobblehead. Every time they guess "Abraham Lincoln," the bobblehead will shake his head "No."
Our first lesson is titled "We Can Follow God" and can be found in Genesis 12:1-8.
Some questions you can ask your child about today's lesson:
1. How does God guide us through life?
2. How can you guide others to know Jesus?
3. How do you chose which people you'll follow at school? At church?
4. What challenges do you think Abram might have had when he followed God?
5. What's one way you can follow God this week?
6. In what ways can following God be hard?
7. Are there times you find it hard to follow God? How can you be encouraged to continue following Him?
8. How can you find God's directions for you?
9. What do you think it means to follow God?

No comments:

Post a Comment