Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nov. 12-13: God is Amazing; The Transfiguration of Jesus; Exile and Return

In Sunday School and elementary worship, our children learned ...

God is Amazing

We discussed the stories of Abraham's visitors (Genesis 18) and Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19:1-29.) A New Testament verse that ties in with this theme would be a good memory verse for your family this week. You can choose from Luke 1:37 -- "For nothing is impossible with God" or Luke 11:9 -- "Ask and God will hear you."

Some questions to help you in discussing this week's lesson:
  1. Why do you think Sarah laughed when she heard she would have a baby?
  2. Have you ever heard something that was so hard to believe that you laughed?
  3. What makes you laugh?
  4. What is something amazing that God has done?
  5. When has God done something amazing in your life? Explain.
  6. In our second story this week, God showed Lot and his family mercy.  What do you think mercy is?  How do we know God shows us mercy?
  7. Do you think it is important for everyone to know about God? Why or why not?
  8. Who is one person you can tell that God is amazing?
  9. How can we thank God for his amazing love this week?
_____

In kindergarten Worship and Wonder at 11 a.m., the children are focusing on learning the New Testament. This week's story:

The Transfiguration of Jesus

You can find this story in Matthew 16:13-23, 17:1-13; Mark 8:27-29, 9:2-8; and Luke 9:18-36.

Here are some things you can wonder about together ...
  1. I wonder how Peter, James and John are feeling?
  2. I wonder what they might really want to do?
  3. I wonder what it was like to see Jesus transfigured?
  4. I wonder how Peter, James and John feel about what they saw?
  5. I wonder how the disciples feel when Peter says Jesus is the Christ?
  6. I wonder what the other disciples might have answered?
  7. I wonder how they could know that Jesus is the Christ?
  8. I wonder how Jesus is feeling?

_____


In Worship and Wonder on Saturday night, 9 a.m. Sunday, and 3s and 4s W&W at 11 a.m. on Sunday, the children are wrapping up stories from the Old Testament. Today they learned about the ...

Exile and Return

You can find this story in Ezra 1-6.

Some questions you can wonder about together:

  1. I wonder what it was like to see the Temple burning and the walls of Jerusalem being torn down?
  2. I wonder how it felt to be forced to go to a strange land, to live in exile?
  3. I wonder what it was like to live in Babylon?
  4. I wonder if God was with them in Babylon?
  5. Now that their old life is gone, I wonder what they will do?
  6. I wonder if God will show them a new way to live?
  7. I wonder what a new way would be like?
  8. I wonder if they lived the new way when they returned to Jerusalem to rebuild the Temple and the wall around Jerusalem?
  9.  

No comments:

Post a Comment